Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Santa Claus vs. God


One of the best litmus tests of our hearts Christians can take is through asking a simple question, 'Do I want a Santa Claus God?'

What do you mean? Santa Claus is a mythical figure with no proof of existence, while the other is the Being credited as being the Creator of mankind and the universe . . . they have nothing to do with each other! You're right, but many believers treat the Lord like Santa Claus.

To me, it's elementary-- IF you could ONLY have one . . . would you choose God's blessings or would you simply, yet relentlessly, choose Him? The sad reality is many followers of Christ would much rather have His gifts instead of Him. Think about it, and I'm not casting stones, but how often do you ask Him for MORE of Him vs. asking Him to bless you or lifting a loved one's dire situation, or needs, up?

I'm not saying intercession is bad . . . in fact, we are implored to lift each other up in prayer, but what I am saying is this-- do I want God's hand or do I want His face? Do I want His shadow, things that leave behind residue of Him being there or do I want the Lord Himself?

Christ comes before ALL things and in Him ALL things hold together (Colossians 1:17.) That's what the Holy Word of God says, but if you take a glimpse around-- at home, at school, at work and even at church-- you would think it was written the other way around. 'All THINGS come BEFORE Christ and in them ALL things hold together!'

What if you had a friend, and sadly many of us have had them before, where the only time they would come around or call you is when they needed something. They wouldn't talk to you otherwise . . . it wouldn't be long until you told them to kick rocks barefooted, would it? Doesn't that show you how merciful, loving and patient God is? Long-suffering doesn't even begin to cover it! I believe alongside gratitude and worship, the greatest gift we can give God is US . . . just talking to Him like you would do any of your other best friends. Constant conversation is what we're encouraged to do.

'Pray continually and without ceasing. And in all things give thanks!' 1st Thessalonians 5:17-18.

In other words, NOT just when we need something.

See one of the greatest tricks the enemy Satan has up his sleeve is getting us to focus on God's blessings instead of the Giver of those blessings, encouraging us to focus on our dreams instead of the Dream-Giver . . . or simply to get us to direct our gratitude for God moving in our lives into idolatry. Man, that Devil is sneaky!!

Somebody call 911

This is not my analogy . . . in fact, I've heard it several places, but the reality is a lot of Christians serve a 911-God. They only call on Him, say His name or bow their head and hit their knees when something bad happens. As much as He's given, His only Son, His presence (Holy Spirit), our many blessings (life, health, food, water, shelter, our families and friends), does He deserve much gratitude? Shouldn't we talk to Him just because of WHO HE IS?

Then when you consider what He's given, and what He continues to give, isn't He worthy of our fellowship? I mean the very fact you woke up this morning and are reading these words is enough to give Him praise-- is it not? A lot of people, if given the opportunity to talk to one of their 'heroes' on a daily basis, or even more frequently, would not only jump at the chance, but they would rearrange their schedules to talk to their favorite athlete, entertainer or political figure!

There is One far greater than ANY star who wants to talk to you daily. Why look to a star when you can talk, and more importantly listen, to the very Entity who hung the stars, knows them all by name and put breath in the lungs of the celebrities you look up to and want to emulate? Every day, every hour, every minute, we have the AWESOME privilege of talking to the Creator of the Universe and yet we don't!! That blows my mind.

I'm not persecuting you as I'm guilty of not talking to the Lord nearly as much as I should want to! But I hope this makes you think of the God you serve!

He's Not Santa Claus, He's NOT the Police . . . He is the I AM

God is Jehovah-Jireh (Our Provider), Jehovah-Shalom (the Lord of peace), Jehovah-Rapha (the Lord who heals), Jehovah-Kadesh (the Lord our Sanctifier). He is something we often times forget, but He is El Shaddai (the God who is more than enough!) But perhaps above all those things-- His name, and nature, can be summed up in two words-- I AM.

I Am the Creator.
I Am the Savior.
I Am the Healer.
I Am your Father.
I Am the Trinity.
I Am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, all things seen and unseen.

Or as Valerie Delp described God, on Christian.families.com says,

'God is eternally existent . . . He laid the foundations of the earth and created all things. God is the Alpha and Omega . . . just as He created all things, He will exist forever. God is unchanging. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.'

When I close my eyes in worship, sometimes set to music and sometimes in pure silence, I just wish I could see His face. I wish I could see the angels, the elders, the redeemed sinners who've gone on before all in perfect harmony worshiping my God and King. Sometimes in the midst of just darkness, I am frustrated, but I really believe the reason the Lord often times doesn't allow us to see concrete, vivid images of Him is because, 'Would we continue to seek Him as earnestly if He so easily revealed Himself to us?'

I know I wouldn't.

While I may never catch a glimpse of God while here on earth, or if I am blessed enough to see Him through visions, whether I am given much or little, in the way of blessings, two things will remain the same. I don't want one single crumb from Heaven if I can't have the One whose hands it falls from and the cry of my heart will forever be,

'My heart says of you, 'Seek His face!' Your face, Lord, I will seek.' Psalm 27:8

Until my eyes behold the most beautiful sight we'll ever see, our Creator and Savior's face, I will continue to seek His face.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dream a Little Dream

Close your eyes. With your eyes closed, I want you to picture your biggest dreams. A tall order for sure. But not only your biggest d...