Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Whatever You're Willing to Give Me


A young white man was working the window at the soup kitchen of Christian Ministry on a cold, rainy and dreay day. It was his first day taking orders, working the window, although he had darkened the doors of the refuge of hope many times before.

"Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, corn, greens, gravy and bread is what we have today," he said to each person who just wanted a warm meal.

Most people would simply say, "Give me everything," or "Give me everything, but" . . . until Eli asked the familiar question to one of the 100 people in line.

"I'll take whatever you're willing to give me," the disheveled man, in his 40s with a beard, said.

The words ROCKED the young volunteer! "I'll give you EVERYTHING," the young man excitingly said as he whispered to the two other volunteers serving up his food, "Load him up!"

Tears came to his eyes-- how grateful an attitude clothed in the utmost humility. The rest of the hour quickly passed, but those eight words remained etched in his head, echoeing in his heart and stirring his spirit. So to did the conversation Eli had with the soup kitchen director Melissa. "If that doesn't touch something deep inside you something is wrong. You really need to check yourself," he said. Melissa, with a heart as big as the kitchen itself, agreed, telling Eli, 'You hear those types of stories all the time but they never lose their effect," she said.

"It's good to be on this side of the window. We are blessed."

The man, whose name is Tommy, smiled as as he received his food from Andre, an 18-year-old black youth with a baby face with a snapback Chicago Bulls hat perched on his head-- a high school graduate, from a small town, and talented musician with dreams of making it big.

Tommy took what looked like just a loaded-up plate of food to the naked eye, but to him was a full-blown feast, to a crowded table in the eating area and sat down beside a couple, just struggling to make it, he didn't know.

He closed his eyes to pray and when he did his heart was flooded with gratitude.

. . .  Jesus, I've only known you for a couple of weeks, but I was told you provide this delicious food we are eating. I just want to say thank you God. Use me today to make someone smile. I don't have a job, and am living in the shelter, but it could always be worse. Thank you for protecting me! (How do I end a prayer he thought to himself) That's right-- Amen! . . .

No sooner had he said amen than the 5-year-old girl, flanked by her mom, spill her whole glass of tea all over Tommy. The mom grabbed the little girl by the arm and in a hateful tone said, "Go wait outside! What is your problem!?!"

"But Mom, it's raining," the little girl replied, "and it's cold."

"I don't care. Go!"

Tommy just smiled before thoughtfully and calmly saying, "It's really OK. Accidents happen and I don't mean to step on any toes, because y'all are her parents, but please let her stay in here."

"Fine, just don't let it happen again Gabby! I mean it," the mom said.

The little girl just smiled, a smile that will light his darkest of days for weeks on end in the days ahead, and grabbed Tommy's hand. 'Thank you.'

Tommy smiled and just said, "My pleasure," as he hurriedly finished his meal as it was five minutes 'til 12:30 p.m. when the kitchen closes.

There was a homeless shelter nearby and as the unseen Hand would have it Tommy ran back into the same couple with Gabby in tow.

Standing in line, the husband noticed Tommy behind them as his wife asked how many beds were available. The answer was three and then they were going to be at capacity.

"Great," the woman said.

"It'll be me, my husband and . . . " Before she could finish the sentence.

"Baby, I'm going to stay under the bridge," her husband said. "Let him have the last bed," pointing to Tommy.

Tommy didn't know what to say. No words could adequately express his thanks, so he just smiled, "I deeply appreciate it!"

"I think you should stay with your family though," he said to the husband.

"No, really I insist."

"Well thanks again," Tommy said as his 6-foot-2-inch frame entered the doorway.

Meanwhile the young volunteer pulled into his driveway where a two-story home awaited him with all the food he needed. Though his girlfriend Elizabeth had just announced she needed a break to find healing after her fresh divorce, and though he was burdened by his hours being cut at work and the fact 25-plus job applications had turned up nothing; he felt better about his life than he ever had. He had JOY . . . He was completely trusting in Jesus. Sure he still wants to be with her and her two children, and still desperately needs a job, but he had finally surrendered his will to the Father's and in doing so had found FREEDOM.

"I'll take whatever you're willing to give me," those words played like a grand marquee through his head.

Young Eli, in his early 30s, bowed his head.

"Make me more like Tommy. Teach me to be content with whatever you're willing to give me! I know all things work together for my good (Romans 8:28) and that your plans are to give me a great future (Jer. 29:11), so please make me more like Tommy. Tommy knows you will never give him rock when he asks for bread. I know that too. In in the precious blood of the Lamb I have prayed. AMEN and AMEN."

That young man is. . . ME.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Dream a Little Dream

Close your eyes. With your eyes closed, I want you to picture your biggest dreams. A tall order for sure. But not only your biggest d...