Sunday, November 10, 2013

Actually, Yeah . . .


Do you want me to come over there?

"No," was the short, and sharp, reply.

"Are you sure," I asked.

"Yeah," was her stern response. She wasn't budging!

A couple of minutes passed and a scary image, not too scary after all it was The Croods, came on the screen. Her eyes got big as saucers and her mouth dropped open. She was terrified.

"Actually, yeah," my four-year-old niece Karson Faith said, excitingly requesting my presence, moving from the recliner to the couch beside her. She not only wanted me beside her . . . she wanted me beside her FAST!

And that moment, it hit me . . . that's how it is with us and God.

God stands at the ready, willing and far more than able to satisfy our every need and He, like me, asks, "Do you want me to help you?"

And stubbornly, foolishly, we tell Him no. But we have those, "Actually, yeah," moments too, don't we?

We get that diagnosis, we lose a loved one, we suffer that disappointment, we lose that job, we can't find a job, we get a divorce, we start experiencing financial problems, we start living fast and find ourselves in need of help, we choose other things over God, we are sick, the pain seems to intensify instead of going away . . . "Actually, yeah!"

Yeah God, I could really use Your help right now. I'm sorry I didn't come to You sooner! When we cry out, God doesn't come on the scene, He is already there, but when we cry out we invite Him into our situation. We, essentially, give Him permission (not that He needs it) to work behind the curtain to make things better . . . whatever He deems better is.

 He would be more than justified to say, "No, you haven't wanted me to help for HOW LONG now? So I'm going to have to say no . . . sorry." How laughable is that notion? No, instead He rejoices. He knows how hard-headed, and stubborn, we are-- after all, He made us! But our delay in asking, thankfully, does not bring about His denial!

There is wisdom and maturity that happen when we depend on God . . . no matter how long it takes us to ask, but there is GREATER wisdom in asking Him to direct your paths through ordering your steps. The only way you can do that is through submitting your will to His, meaning the ONLY steps you make are ones He told you to take. It's wonderful to realize we can not do life alone, but it's even better to keep the lines of communication open AT ALL times-- in good times and bad times! It's about walking in gratitude, being obedient and sharing His love all the while through prayer seeking His will for your life.

He loves us infinitely, and unconditionally, that's why He works on our behalf even when we treat Him like a 911 God instead of the Lord of our lives.

So I ask you . . .what are some things happening in your life that you haven't invited God into? I challenge you to simply say, "Actually, yeah," and watch what God does with it. At the very least, He will hear you, comfort you, protect you and guide you.

When I sat down on the couch, my niece put her head up against my chest and I wrapped my arm around her. The Lord does the same with us. Isn't that exciting?!? We get to put our heads on the Creator of the Universe's chest. Our Savior is also our Father and in His relentless patience He awaits us to have enough faith and humility to say those two small words.

Maybe pride has kept you from doing it . . . maybe you feel like nothing ever works out for you, but God is faithful! When we say them-- we change the atmosphere and we release the Master of making the IMPOSSIBLE possible into our circumstance. Peace is not the absence of affliction, but when you're in the presence of God . . . you have something immeasurable-- HOPE!

Just like my niece felt in that moment, you will feel loved, comforted, protected and content. There is NO better place you can be.









1 comment:

  1. Great ... I said before.!

    Llke I was the character .. you describe .!

    ReplyDelete

Dream a Little Dream

Close your eyes. With your eyes closed, I want you to picture your biggest dreams. A tall order for sure. But not only your biggest d...