Sunday, December 25, 2016

He'll have His Home~ The true meaning of Christmas

~The TRUE meaninG of CHRISTmas~ John Mark Brooks

Last night at Emmanuel Lutheran's candlelight-service; I witnessed the TRUE meaning of Christmas. There, in the midst of 100+ people, was a man in jeans and a sweater. . . Unshaven and a little disheveled. But that's not what made him stand out in a small sea of people dressed to the nines.

What made him special was He had a hunger, a deep longing, for the King born in a manger, who died as a 'criminal,' a rebel and an outcast.

See, he didn't warm up a car to come to worship. Didn't take a shower, shave or pick an outfit, but he shined like that star over Bethlehem.

Why? Because this man was like our Savior was when He was born-- homeless without a place to lay his head. However, that did not stop him from being there.

I watched him; tears welled up in my eyes. When someone needed to slide in the pew, he stepped out in the aisle, as a gentleman with his hands folded behind his back. He sung his lungs out: whole-heartedly and with each word shrouded in gratitude. How could one man with so LITTLE have so MUCH joy and a beautiful response of grace and appreciation?!?

As pastor Mike Collins shared a message on how we can find God's Presence in the beautiful and ugly, wonderful and terrible, in the smooth-sailing and in the storms of life; this man listened intently. Jesus was born into our messy world, so He could take our mess and make it His~ powerful, poignant and relevant no matter where you find yourself on the spectrum of circumstances or mood. What was feared to be a 'mess,' as Mike lost his sermon notes, turned into a beautiful, timeless message straight from the heart of God.

With the service drawing to a close, with my amazing Mom beside me, there he was singing . . . "Silent Night, holy night all is calm, all is bright." My heart was filled with compassion, thankfulness and perspective.

Jesus-- the Nazerene-- died just as much for the all too easily-labeled, and looked down, homeless man as He died for me, the pastor or the CEO of the company.

I couldn't help but smile because, as I prayed for God to protect this precious man as he left, I could only think of one thing . . . For one day I know He will not only have a home~ He will be HOME (Heaven).

And that, that's the TRUE meaning of Christmas . . . That strangers can become friends . . . Orphans become sons and daughters . . . And the lost become not only found, but find true Hope, Love, Peace and Joy!

1 comment:

  1. This was so touching John,I got tears in my eyes,thank you for sharing...I pray that people will not only know that Jesus is the reason for the season, but also that he's the reason for life period.

    ReplyDelete

Dream a Little Dream

Close your eyes. With your eyes closed, I want you to picture your biggest dreams. A tall order for sure. But not only your biggest d...