Thursday, January 5, 2012

Never Take Your Eyes off the Target!

We've heard it all our lives, 'Keep your eyes on the target.'

Growing up playing basketball I heard it. Heard it again playing football when my coaches would tell me to keep my eyes on the ball carrier's jersey . . . 'His feet can deceive you, but his number won't.'

The church service had just ended. Some members, of the congregation, were going home to enjoy football, some just to relax, others heading off to lunch or to enjoy a day outdoors.

On this particular day, my barber (Jason) was the person I wanted to catch before he hit the exit. I didn't have anything specific to say to him, it had just been awhile since we'd talked, as if my shaggy hair and scruffy beard could attest.

I had my eyes on him, and his wife, as I made my way across the church. I maneuvered my way through the people similar to Ray Rice finding his running lanes (only not as fast because that would just be weird) *laughs*

Anytime I'm wading through a bunch of people, I am reminded of Luke 8:40-48. You must be focused and determined, using perseverance along the way to successfully reach your destination.

I was getting close when I did exactly opposite of what I've always been trained to do~ I took my eyes off the target.

Before I knew it, my friends I wanted to talk to were gone. I stood there kind of befuddled and slightly disappointed. It was right in my midst, then bam, without warning the opportunity was lost, failing to reach my goal.

Then God spoke, sounding more like a coach, in a loving but pulling no punches sort of way.
'Don't take your eyes off the target son.'

Wow, it still blows my mind He calls me son!

He wasn't talking about this incident, He used this as a teaching moment to impart the wisdom, and importance, of not taking my eyes off Him. Because when you do, you don't arrive at your intended destination, don't reach your goal, but more than missing any sort of blessing, you lose intimacy with Christ when you take your eyes off Jesus and your life becomes self-centered and discontent.

No, you won't always end up depressed, caught up in addiction or treating people badly, although all of those are definitely possible results, but you will begin to focus more on the circumstance than knowing Who (God) is in control.

Many think Jesus is the only man to walk on water. That's not the case. Don't believe me? Check out Matthew 14: 29 & 30 . . . Peter did. Well, he did for a few, yet I imagine unbelievably rewarding, moments.

Peter was not concerned with how much it was raining, the thunder, the lightning or even his own fear, his eyes were simply riveted on Jesus!

No, keeping your eyes on Jesus will not make the personal 'storms' in your life disappear, but keeping your eyes on Him WILL change your perspective.

In doing so, we will focus on the Author, Finisher and Perfector of our faith (Hebrews 12:2) not our burdens, place in life or current adversity.

We too often turn molehills into mountains when our God is BIG enough, fully capable and more than able no matter what, or who, we are facing!

But once we take our eyes off Him, our mind and hearts, remember Jeremiah 17:9, (and satan) begin to make us believe otherwise.

In your journey of realizing dreams, be obedient, work hard, remain humble and never, ever take your eyes off the target!

In the anecdote I shared, I missed out on conversation, but if you lose intimacy in your spiritual walk/relationship, the stakes are higher with the consequences being much worse.

We can do ALL things in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:13), but like I always say, and I know from personal experience, with Jesus anything is possible (Mark 9:23) and without Him, from a sinful standpoint (opposite end of the spectrum) anything is possible.

Let's make Him our target not just who we call in case of emergency . . . He is SO much more than a 911 God!

And while he will GLADLY rescue you; He desires to walk with you even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dream a Little Dream

Close your eyes. With your eyes closed, I want you to picture your biggest dreams. A tall order for sure. But not only your biggest d...