Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Reason I Write

Why do I write?
It's a pointed question that requires a direct and sincere answer.
In short, there are many reasons I write and I'll do my best to share
them with you in a candid manner.
While it would be real easy to say the primary reasons behind my
writing are to get published, provide a better livelihood for myself &
family and have a 'bigger' name . . . none of those things push me as much
as the reasons I'm about to share.
I just want to please God, the Gifter, and glorify Him. I long to hear the words,
'Well done, my good and faithful servant!' (Matthew 25:21). See, I know this is
a gift/talent and like all gifts and talents, it's primary purpose is to glorify the
One who gave them to us!
One of my life verses is 2nd Cor. 4:7, which says 'we are just jars of clay, so that
everyone will see the unsurpassable glory belongs to God NOT to us!' My writing,
like my very life, should never be about me . . . only that I'm a good steward of
what He's given me!
If we use our gifts and talents to glorify only ourselves, we have taken a good thing
& used it in a self-centered manner . . . thus, betraying the Gifter and relfecting our
lack of gratitude.
Will the Lord allow us to do that if we so choose? Absolutely, He will, but in doing
so you will not only cheat Him, but you will cheat yourself out of the blessings He
wants to give you through your gifts and talents. Where He wants to give you peace,
you will find discontentment. . . in doing so, missing out on the life more abundantly
(John 10:10).
Luke 12:48 'To whom much is given, much is required.'
Another reason I write is to encourage you~ to let you know, no matter what you're
facing, there are people who have also experienced pain, been heartbroken and struggled
with the trials and tribulations, and personal storms, this life brings!
God made me a leader . . . He made me an encourager~ it's just who I am. I'm not bragging
when I say that because I'm sure there are so many times I've been disobedient, plenty of kind words I left unspoken, many smiles that never spread across my lips and tons of words left unwritten, cheating the would-be receiver of those words out of life, out of hope, out of a message written in Heaven but never delivered on earth.
I firmly believe a couple of things~ if my writing touches just one person . . . it's been worthwhile. If my smile, uplifts one person or if my words encourage just one, they
have served their God-given purpose.
I think of John 15: 1-17, we are to show love to our neighbors, bearing much fruit and in
doing so showing Whom we belong to that we we are His disciples.
Here are a few verses I believe you'll find meaningful.
John 15:5 'I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear
much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.'
John 15:11-12 'I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy be made complete. Love each other as I have loved you.'
John 15:16 'You did not choose me, I chose you and appointed you, so that you might go and bear fruit~ fruit that will last.
Our words are SO powerful-- they have either the power to build up or tear down, to breathe life or to be instruments of destruction. (Proverbs 18:21).
It's my hope my words breathe life into your life, let you know you're not alone in the boat and to give you the courage to face another day and take that step you desperately need to take!
The final reason I write is to be a messenger~ to allow God to write through me. . . not because I'm 'special,' but because He will speak through anyone who makes themselves available. It's not about ability . . . it's about availability!
There is NO greater honor or privilege than to deliver a message from the very lips of God. I look at writing as simply holding God's pen or of actually being God's pen~ just an instrument designed/created to give Him the glory and tell everyone how much He loves them . . . hear that?!? He LOVES you!!
No matter what you've done, no matter what you've said, no matter the places you never should've been or even the fact you stayed longer than you wanted to stay, JESUS loves you!!
(John 3:16 & 17)
You are not TOO dirty, you are not insufficient, you are fearfully & wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14) and at your very birth God Himself danced . . . He celebrated! You are made in His image! He loves you!!
Whoever you picture yourself as being as a child~ an image of innocence, of purity and the belief everything is good & when you were completely carefree . . . let me tell you a secret! You still ARE him/her~ the devil just wants you to feel like you've lost your innocence and that it's TOO late for you . . . it's not!
2nd Corinthians 5:17 'Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he becomes a new creation; the old is gone!' and Isaiah 1:18 'Come now let us reason together,' says the Lord. 'Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool!'
That's GREAT news! The best news you have ever heard or read!!
These are the reasons I write. If I am blessed enough, through working hard, to get published and to accomplish the dreams I have with my pen, that will be fantastic, but I just want to hear the words well done my good and faithful servant. He could've chosen anyone to give this talent to and for reasons, only He knows, He chose me . . . I just want to show him I'm grateful He did.
Sure, everyone loves to hear 'thatta boy,' everyone craves acceptance, everyone loves to be validated and have someone tell them they're proud of you, but hearing Him say, 'Well done!' is the GREATEST 'thatta boy' and sweetest words we will EVER hear!
Afterall, It's the reason I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dream a Little Dream

Close your eyes. With your eyes closed, I want you to picture your biggest dreams. A tall order for sure. But not only your biggest d...