Thursday, April 26, 2012

Was She an AngeL?

I caught her out of the corner of my eye. I walked faster, careful not to make eye contact.

As I scurried past her, I was almost annoyed. Maybe more uneasy than annoyed after all, I didn't know her. That's a lie-- I judged her. Normally, I don't, but I did. She was a homeless woman probably just wanting money.

Why was she crying? She must be a little coo coo as in she's crazy. No sooner did I walk about 20 feet before the Holy Spirit stopped me smack dab in my tracks. 'Go find her. You must talk to her.'

There was only one problem . . . when I turned around she was gone. I quickly scanned the area and, viola, there she was across the street (four lanes) in the big city.

Without thinking, I started darting across as traffic closed in. Good thing I didn't trip. When I reached her the guilt I felt for not stopping for this middle-aged black woman had been replaced by the natural, God-given compassion I had for her in my heart.

She was sobbing. Tears poured out of her eyes-- I opened my arms. She embraced me like an old friend. I just held her as she said, 'Thank you so much. Oh my God. Thank you so much. You have no idea how much this means to me.'

That's when it hit me. She had been given a blanket by a Hands on Charlotte (www.handsoncharlotte.org) group and she was overwhelmed somebody cared enough to give her something. Honestly, it could've been ANYTHING . . . just the act of love . . . was what meant more than the gift itself. But as cold as it had been (especially at night), a blanket caused more gratitude to come forth!

As she was in my arms sobbing as if someone had died, I prayed for her. I felt the Holy Spirit and heard the Lord say, 'Well done my son.'

I apologized for not stopping initially and for passing her on by. She told my friend and me how much she appreciated us talking to her. My friend shared how life/God has a way of humbling us and how that's something we all can relate to. All I had done was pray for her and she acted like, between that blanket and a couple of simple caring gestures, she had been given the world.

What a tremendous metaphor of my reluctance to stop at first and then heeding the call. In life, you might not have gotten it 'right,' or been obedient, the first go around, but there is usually another chance to redeem yourself. The past doesn't matter, but the condition of your heart and following through on good intentions, carpe minutam (seize the minute), definitely do. Will you get it right the next time? That's how we grow.

It was also a tangible example of how our spirit is often willing to be guided by God, but our flesh is not. I'm sure there were unseen powers/demons at work as we made our way down the sidewalk as she cried out.

Tears were in my eyes too, and flowed down my face, as I encouraged her to find someone she could live with, to find a job and find more purpose for her life. I shared with her how much Jesus loves her and He has not forsaken her! When I prayed, I asked for provision, for protection, for the Way-maker to do just that in her life-- make a way. To give her a revelation of His unconditional, relentless and whole love for her, His precious daughter, just that this would not be end for her.

She shared how she used to be a 'crackhead,' and how now, through God's deliverance, she was now sober and had been for about five years.

As we walked, and after I gave her some money, she shared a story about a rich man who was taunting her one day. Her response to his taunts showed more wisdom than he will likely ever have! She said, 'I may not be Donald Trump. I may not have as much money as Bill Gates, but I'm richer than you will ever be!'

At that moment, I thought of the verse Mark 10:25, 'It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.' Does that mean if you're wealthy you don't go to Heaven? Absolutely not-- it just means there is a certain arrogance that comes with the love of money, that causes a person not to deeply depend on God anymore, a condition that hardens your heart.

Money replaces God on the throne of many wealthy people's heart. Not all, but many. I acknowledge there are believers, who happen to be rich, who do love as Christ has called us to love and give out of the overflow of their heart and bank accounts, but it is more difficult.

What happened next blew me away. As I stood listening to great wisdom. The teacher, of the moment, continued.

'I go to church every Sunday. I tell God. . . You kept me safe Monday-Saturday, I will come to Your house and to say, 'Thank you on your day!''

Wow, what perspective!! A blanket was cherished like a million dollars and though she had very little, she did have an attitude of gratitude. I thought of myself and how I don't always go to church to tell Him thank You . . . most Sundays but not every single one. Then I thought of all the people, who have so much more, who have no desire to be in the Lord's house (much less with the prime objective being to tell God thank You).

This was a tri-fold blessing moment (TBM) where you bless God through your action, you bless the other person and you are also blessed. The best kind of blessing this life can afford along with simply knowing Him.

As my new friend walked off. I reflected, 'Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without even knowing it.' (Hebrews 13:2)

Did she disappear down the alley only to be reassigned in another place to test someone else's heart? Was she truly an angel?

She was to me.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Dream a Little Dream

Close your eyes. With your eyes closed, I want you to picture your biggest dreams. A tall order for sure. But not only your biggest d...