Wednesday, June 19, 2013

God in the Daily 2


I learn so much about God through Tyklen, Finley and Karson Faith every time I am around them.

Tyklen (4) and Finley (2) are my girlfriend Sara's two kids-- two children I love like my very own, while Karson Faith (3) is my niece. Three kids whose enthusiasm is as contagious as the flu and whose smiles, the one found in their eyes and on their lips, cause you to wonder which is bigger though both are as sincere as they are pure. All three are amazing little creations who make sunny days even brighter and shine light on the darkest of nights.

Each smile, each sparkle, each laugh are salads on the endless buffet that is beholding them. Satisfying yet each leaves you wanting more . . . to know them is to love them with a love you didn't even dream was possible and one you pray you never have to live without.  The happiness these three have brought me, along with my oldest niece Madison (15), is unreal. Simply put, they color my world and the Artist's painting for my life. Bundles of Grace whose frustration they bring is as a fleeting as the morning dew.

No Help

"No help John Mark, no help," Finley said as she tried to turn the knob on the water fountain.

"Do you want me to help you," I asked.

"No," she shouted defiantly. To say she is stubborn, and independent, would be like calling Santa Claus merely a generous man.

She was determined. Once, twice, three times she attempted to satisfy her thirst by turning the knob-- each time to no avail, so I offered again. This time she obliged my offer with a yes.

Though she did not tell me; I am sure that water tasted particularly good to her. . . a sweet, sweet taste-- one that comes from letting someone who loves you provide, letting someone be a blessing.

I think of the times, in my life, God asks me to let Him help then I ponder how often I used to say no, and still do at times.

Why can't we be more like Finley?

Pick Me Up

Tyklen and I were walking into the ocean. Though he had floaties on his arms, he still slowly trudged forward like a man walking the 'Green Mile.'

I asked him if he wanted me to pick him up and he said no.

 About that time a wave came, and while it didn't clobber him, it did knock him down. He panicked. In that moment forgetting the swimmies, and that I was standing next to him, he started to cry. While he is biologically not my own; I did what any loving father would do. I scooped him up into my arms.

He knew he was safe and in this place of refuge he braved several waves as I turned my back to them, letting them crash up against me. Isn't this what God does for us?  We may not always ask, but He protects, and rescues, us anyway. It's just in His nature. What type of man would I have been if I would've just let Tyklen get thrown around like a ragdoll by the powerful ocean? I love and I care, so I helped . . . so much more so is it with the Lord.

Watch me, watch me!

Finley and I were in the kiddie pool, at the beach, and we were having a blast. Then she stops and says, "Watch me John Mark, watch me John Mark."

With a twinkle in her eyes and smile spread over her face, like peanut butter on bread, she proceeded to twirl around in a fast circle.

"Ta da," she said with pride exuding from her miniature body.

 "That was great girl," I said as I clapped, reacting to her 'trick' like she had just composed Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

In that instant, it smacked me with the subtlety of a hurricane, God loves us and is impressed with us WITHOUT the trick . . . because we are His children! Isn't that amazing?!? We don't have to 'perform' -- although we are being molded every day (Phil 1:6); He already sees us as the MASTERpieces we are becoming. He views as us being spotless, pure and innocent through the drafting of the New Covenant written in blood of Jesus.

Though we have fallen, He sees us without blemish. His REDEEMED creation (John 3:16 and 17). . . His children. And this time He reminded me once again I was His child through a child.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Dream a Little Dream

Close your eyes. With your eyes closed, I want you to picture your biggest dreams. A tall order for sure. But not only your biggest d...