Sunday, July 7, 2013

God is BIG


You might be rolling your eyes at the title of this writing and you're certainly entitled. I can't stop you, but before you do . . . I want you to ask yourself this question-- "How big is God in my eyes?"

Now, I bet you aren't rolling your eyes . . . in fact, if you're anything like me when I learned this through Tyklen (4) and Finley (2), you're probably thinking where you lost it.

When did you lose the belief, the notion, the perspective of God is being really, really, really BIG!?!

I was driving Tyklen to his house after Vacation Bible School: Kingdom Rock and we were talking about what he learned and then he dropped this bombshell on me.

"God is really, really big! I can't pick him up. Jesus is stronger than everybody," he said.

I've learned something I've always been unawarely (I am aware this is not a word) aware of-- God can speak through anything and anybody. He is not limited by the age of a person and uses songs, movies, smiles, waves, acts of kindness, the wind, the sun etc. ANYTHING He wants to use to speak to us. The problem is we often times don't listen or we listen, but understand He is the Source. It's not mere coincidence . . . it's not ironic . . . it's not unusual . . . it's God!

No sooner did his words hit the air did God give me revelation and convict me through a question.

"Do you think I'm big?"

I didn't shrug it off. Instead, I was honest . . . sometimes. The sad reality, and truth, is as we get older we seem to get distracted, we get hurt, we don't stop believing, we stray . . . no matter which we do; our perspective of God often times becomes subject to our circumstances.

Our faith is no longer unpolluted. It's no longer pure and unwavering. It's no longer childlike.

Then I thought about Tyklen's second sentence. "I can't pick Him up." Sure we KNOW that, but we don't act like it. From a physical standpoint, we can't pick God up, but I have definitely tried. How many times, I assure you it's a number in the thousands, have I tried to fit God into MY will? We turn God into a SMALL puzzle piece and even if that particular piece doesn't fit . . . we are hell-bent on trying to place it in the hole. All the while missing the point-- He doesn't want it to fit because it's not HIS will!

Instead of looking at my situation, with an unflinching faith, and without shame declaring, "God is BIG and I trust Him. This situation is itty-bitty compared to the God I serve," I would do the opposite."My problem is big and God is itty-bitty compared to this problem." That is a lie from the pits of hell and one we sadly, with great frequency, believe.

My heart beamed with pride about Tyklen. He not only learned all four Bible verses, by the way FYI I would've been just as proud of him if he learned none, but he let God speak through him and taught me minutes after earning his prizes.

Mark 10:15 "I tell you the truth. Anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will not enter it," Jesus said.

God is TOO Heavy

I was reminded of this beautiful truth and revelation today by Finley. Finley walked over to a 'Christmas tree' in a pot as Sara, the kids and I walked to the car and wrapped her little arms around it.

"It's too heavy John Mark. It's too heavy. I can't lift it. I can't pick it up," she, matter of factly, said.

And you know what I learned? God is that tree . . . He is TOO heavy, so I need to just let Him be BIG and stay put, but I was moved by her display of faith. She was bound and determined to lift that ol' tree and with great faith she tried! Don't we ALL need that kind of mustard-seed faith? (Matthew 17:20).

Many times I need to just let God be What, and Who, He is . . . BIG! I need to trust. I need to believe He is working all things together for my good (Romans 8:28) and using it to prosper me (Jer. 29:11) instead of trying to pick Him up and moving Him into what I want, which may not be good for me at all and certainly isn't in His will for my life.

God IS big and He is looking for us to place our faith in Him . . . how capable He is not how capable we are. There is a big difference! In His bigness, He is small enough, humble enough, loving enough, to speak to us. Are we listening?

Remember how big we used to think our parents were when we were little? Heck how big the world was? Well let's get back to that perception in this way-- let's infinitely look at our Heavenly Father in much the same fashion. HE IS BIG and you know what? The world, and all the problems that are in it, are really, really, really small!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Dream a Little Dream

Close your eyes. With your eyes closed, I want you to picture your biggest dreams. A tall order for sure. But not only your biggest d...