Thursday, October 22, 2009

In the Drop of a Hat

In the blink of an eye, in a snap, in the drop of a hat
Your whole life can change, or it can be over, just like that
One different decision or maybe just not the same choice
And suddenly, you see Him up close instead of hearing His voice

We think we're entitled or we deserve it; we're not entitled to shi*
One minute on top of the world then the next second you're hit
Walking day-in-and-day-out almost like we're in some sort of haze
It makes me really wonder how much do we REALLY appreciate our days?

I can't say for sure on whether or not we, in fact, cheated death
But I know with all my heart I'm going to cherish my next breath
And the next one and the next one and 1 million breaths from now
I wanna make sure I had a dang good performance when it's my time to take a bow!

I'll have one great Act here then follow it up with one that's no good
Then I'm left wondering if I had it to do over again whether or not I would?
Our minds are set on the future when we're not even promised the next days
How different would my life be if I would just let it instead of being so stuck in my ways?

Almost have to pinch myself just to see if this is a dream or if this is really real
But by the twisted metal, my Mom could've very easily been writing out my will
You can forget about a reality check~ this was more like a whole damn book
From now on, I don't know about you, but I'm stealing EACH moment like I'm a crooK!!

JM Copyright John Mark Brooks June 11, 2008

*I wrote this poem after I was rearended as I was coming to stop by an 18-wheeler going 40 M.P.H cause the driver was on the phone & wasn't paying attention~ Yes, I believe there are angels among us!!*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dream a Little Dream

Close your eyes. With your eyes closed, I want you to picture your biggest dreams. A tall order for sure. But not only your biggest d...